tz64code2006b.tar.gz

Ken Pizzini tz. at explicate.org
Tue Feb 21 14:21:29 UTC 2006

On Tue, Feb 21, 2006 at 01:30:51PM +0000, Bennett Todd wrote:
> Did get a warning:
>
> cc -DTZDIR=\"/usr/share/zoneinfo\" -Os -Dtzname=__tzname -Dtzset=__tzset -DLLONG_MAX=INT64_MAX   -c -o localtime.o localtime.c
> localtime.c: In function `differ_by_repeat':
> localtime.c:331: warning: comparison is always false due to limited range of data type
>
> but I still seem to have gotten a working build.

Yeah, that warning is harmless; it is an odd bit of code which is trying
to determine if time_t is a floating point type.  To the compiler it
looks an awful lot like the programmer might have been confused, but in
this case the compiles-to-boolean-constant is by design (the test in
question needs implementation details that the preprocessor can't help
with, so the more usual testing with #if can't be used here).

> > (If so then a #ifdef or two should fix the problem on systems
> > based on a moderately modern glibc, and regardless -DLLONG_MAX
> > should be added to the list of CFLAGS adjustments in the
> > Makefile.)
>
> Actually, I don't do glibc, my system is based on uClibc.

Er, right... I wasn't thinking straight.  <stdint.h> is a *compiler*
specific (not library specific) header.  Make that "a moderately
modern gcc", or even "any compiler supporting C99" that should be
automagically supported without requiring a -DLLONG_MAX flag.

		--Ken Pizzini