DOT issues final ruling on Indiana time zones

Deborah Goldsmith goldsmit at apple.com
Thu Jan 19 22:32:30 UTC 2006

Sorry for the spam; I swear this is the last message. If I still have
it wrong, I'll let someone else straighten it out. :-)

In America/Indiana/Knox, on April 2, 2006:

1:59:59 EST is followed by 1:00:00 CST (because this location
switches to Central Time at that moment, and it's Standard Time in
that zone)
1:59:59 CST is followed by 3:00:00 CDT (the normal DST transition)

It doesn't happen in one step; if it went from 1:59:59 to 3:00:00, it
would be on EDT, not CDT. If it went from 1:59:59 to 2:00:00, then
Knox would be on CDT an hour before the rest of its time zone. Now,
that actually makes sense (clocks wouldn't have to change), but it's
not what the DOT ruling says. It says "Starke county moves from ET to
CT at the moment of the DST transition in the ET zone."

Deborah Goldsmith
Internationalization, Unicode liaison
Apple Computer, Inc.
goldsmit at apple.com