proposed tz patches for Indiana, New Brunswick, Gaza, etc.

Deborah Goldsmith goldsmit at apple.com
Sat Jan 21 17:03:06 UTC 2006

On Jan 20, 2006, at 9:14 PM, Paul Eggert wrote:
> But my proposed rules do that.  "zdump -v America/Indiana/Knox"
> outputs this for me:

>    America/Indiana/Knox  Sun Apr  2 06:59:59 2006 UTC = Sun Apr  2
> 01:59:59 2006 EST isdst=0
>    America/Indiana/Knox  Sun Apr  2 07:00:00 2006 UTC = Sun Apr  2
> 02:00:00 2006 CDT isdst=1
>
> Are you getting different output from zdump?

I believe you, I just don't understand why -- it's my brain that's
giving different output. :-) If 07:00:00 UTC is 01:00:00 CST in
America/Chicago, why is it 02:00:00 CDT in America/Indiana/Knox, when
America/Chicago has:

                         -6:00   US      C%sT

and America/Indiana/Knox also has:

                         -6:00   US      C%sT

Why is the same information interpreted differently in these two
cases? Does the interpretation depend on the prior line? If so, is
this an ambiguity in the specification?

I haven't tried this in ICU yet; I suspect it may interpret the rules
differently than zdump. I'll check on Monday.

Deborah