2003 time zone boundary change in North Dakota

Paul Eggert eggert at CS.UCLA.EDU
Mon Jan 23 23:56:49 UTC 2006

"Gwillim Law" <RLAW at nc.rr.com> writes:

> http://www.epa.gov/fedrgstr/EPA-IMPACT/2003/July/Day-22/i18611.htm

EPA?  Wow.  Thanks for the reference.  I guess I must have caught your
web page right after you updated it.

That URL covers only Sioux County, though, and the affected
communities are all in the Standing Rock Indian Reservation, which
already observed central time.  So, as far as I can see, that URL
doesn't indicate the need for a new tz Zone entry.

To be honest, though, I don't understand the significance of having
the "official" time zone disagree with the reservation time zone.
This situation still obtains in the part of Sioux County west of North
Dakota State Highway 31 -- and apparently it was important to do so,
or why would they bother to set the boundary at Highway 31? -- but I
don't know what it really means in practice.

You also mentioned that much of Morton County changed.  Do you have a
URL for that?

The current boundary can be found in
<http://nationalatlas.gov/printable/timezones.html> -- it's the county
line, apparently -- and I found the previous boundary in
<http://north-dakota.2havefun.com/maps/mortoncounty.jpg>.  So I think
the affected communities (with 2006 populations, if known, as
estimated by www.world-gazetteer.com) were Almont (pop. 85),
Bluegrass, Breien, Fallon, Flasher (266), Ft Rice, Glen Ullin (816),
Hebron (721), Huff, Judson, New Salem (864), St Anthony, and Timmer.

The affected region of Sioux County (if any) doesn't have any
community of any size.

If so, the Zone for this change ought to be
America/North_Dakota/New_Salem, and I can draft a further proposed
change along those lines.