2003 time zone boundary change in North Dakota

Paul Eggert eggert at CS.UCLA.EDU
Thu Jan 26 07:43:33 UTC 2006

"Gwillim Law" <RLAW at nc.rr.com> writes:

> According to http://www.dot.gov/affairs/wnd102003.htm, on 2003-10-26, the
> following places moved from Mountain to Central:  all of Jones, Mellette,
> and Todd Counties, SD, and Morton County and the part of Sioux County east
> of route 31 in ND (excepting, of course, the parts of Jones, Morton, and
> Sioux that were already in Central).

Thanks.  I looked into this some more, and found this reference:

http://www.epa.gov/fedrgstr/EPA-IMPACT/2003/October/Day-28/i27056.htm

which said that the South Dakota part of this switch was for legal
time, and that the vast majority of the people in the affected area
had observed central time for quite a while.  Hence if it were only
South Dakota we wouldn't really need a Zone entry.

However, the North Dakota part of the switch seems to been a real
change, as far as I can tell.  OST Docket No. OST-2001-10287
<http://dmses.dot.gov/docimages/p63/135818.pdf> says that on
2001-08-28 the DOT held a hearing at New Salem, ND, and the straw vote
was 60 in favor of switching to central time and 54 in favor of
sticking with mountain time, and the 2000-06-13 primary election had a
straw vote of 625-572 for the change.

So it appears that we still need a new zone
America/North_Dakota/New_Salem for the ND part of the switch.