DOT issues final ruling on Indiana time zones

Jesper Norgaard Welen jnorgard at prodigy.net.mx
Fri Jan 20 05:05:02 UTC 2006

I think your last interpretation finally got it right, this is what
the DOT says. But I think they goofed up something when they wrote the
DOT. The effect is that Indiana goes from GMT-5 to GMT-6 during one
hour,
and then to GMT-5 again one hour later??!

In reality, I'm sure what they wanted to do is to keep Indiana on GMT-5
and on Eastern time until Central timezone shifts to Daylight Saving,
and
then define that point in time to be the shift in timezone. Then nobody
in Indiana has to change wall clock in spring, until autumn when
CDT shifts back to CST. I'll bet you no matter what official documents
have
been issued they won't shift the wall clock one hour behind just to
shift
it one hour ahead, an hour later.

In effect at 2:59:59 EST they will shift to 3:00:00 CDT without any wall
clock change. So the DOT text should have read
"The effective *time* of this rule is 2:00 a.m. CST Sunday, April 2,
2006,
which is the changeover *time* from Central Standard Time to Central
Daylight Saving Time"
... or they could have used "3:00 a.m. EST" to the same effect.

The rule should in tz-database format would then be
			-5:00	-	EST	2006 Apr 2 3:00
			-6:00	US	C%sT
In short, Indiana is on Eastern time until 3:00, and from then they are
on
Central (Daylight) time.

By the way I don't think the time 2:00:00 CDT exists for that date (from
an
earlier mail), even for any place in the world - but that is maybe more
of
a philosophical problem. 2:00:00 CST and 3:00:00 CDT would exist (at
least
the latter) because they are in fact, the same.

Jesper Nørgaard Welen