Chinese timezones 1970

Jesper Norgaard Welen jnorgard at prodigy.net.mx
Fri Jul 14 06:30:31 UTC 2006

I have investigated the timezones around 1970 on the
http://www.astro.com/atlas site, and here are the results. I am attaching a
GIF file of the map I have built based on this information. The red borders
are the modern-time administrative borders, while the green lines are the
timezone borders I have determined, note that some of them are partially
hidden behind the red lines.

There are no big surprises. Most timezones follow modern-day administrative
boundaries, with the exceptions being Xinjiang, Xizang (Tibet), Qinghai,
Gansu, Nei Mongol (Inner Mongolia) and Guangdong. There was an exception in
Heliongjiang region on GMT+8.5 where the northern-most county Mohe is on
GMT+8.

A few other exceptions were two counties on the Sichuan side of the Xizang -
Sichuan border, counties Dege and Baiyu which lies on the Sichuan side and
are therefore supposed to be GMT+7, Xizang region being GMT+6, but Dege
county is GMT+8 according to astro.com while Baiyu county is GMT+6 (could be
true), for the moment I am assuming that those two counties are mistakes in
the astro.com data.

The biggest surprise was that region Guangdong were dived in 3 timezones, a
south/west part on GMT+6 (counties Xuwen, Haikang, Suixi, Lianjiang,
Zhanjiang, Wuchuan, Huazhou, Gaozhou, Maoming, Dianbai, Xinyi) a central
part on GMT+7 (counties Yangchun, Yangjiang, Taishan, Kaiping, Xinxing,
Luoding, Yu'nan, Yunfu, Taishan, Deqing and Enping) and a north/east part on
GMT+8 with the rest of the counties.

Zone Asia/Harbin on GMT+8.5: regions Heilongjiang (minus Mohe) and Jilin.

Zone Asia/Shanghai on GMT+8: regions east Nei Mongol, Liaoning, Hebei +
Beijing, Shanxi, Shandong, Henan, Jiangsu, Anhui, Shanghai, Zhejiang, Hubei,
Hunan, Jiangxi, Fujian, north/east Guangdong and Mohe county of
Heilongjiang.

Zone Asia/Chongqing on GMT+7: regions west Nei Mongol, Ningxia, Shaanxi,
east Gansu, west Qinghai, Sichuan, Guizhou, Guangxi, Yunnan, Hainan island
and the central part of Guangdong province.

Zone Asia/Urumqi on GMT+6: regions east Xinjiang, west Gansu (counties
Dunhuang, Aksay, Anxi, Subei), west Qinghai, east Xizang (Tibet) and east
Guangdong.

Zone Asia/Kashgar on GMT+5: regions west Xinjiang, west Xizang.

Regards,
- Jesper

Jesper Nørgaard Welen
Email: jnorgard at Prodigy.Net.mx
Project Leader (Líder de Proyecto) Software
CIMMYT  -  Centro Internacional de Mejoramiento de Maíz y Trigo
Dirección: CIMMYT Int. c/o Jesper Nørgaard
Km. 45, Carretera México-Veracruz
El Batán
Texcoco, Edo. de México
CP 56130   MEXICO
Tel.:	+52 (55) 58-04-20-04  ext. 1374
Fax:	+52 (55) 58-04-75-58
Tel. Casa:   53-10-05-95  ó  53-10-97-78
Download the shareware program World Time Explorer, I made:
http://www.worldtimeexplorer.com/index.html