Australian time zone abbreviations

Greg Black gjb at gbch.net
Fri Jun 2 02:44:42 UTC 2006

On 2006-06-01, Paul Eggert wrote:

> This indicates that (on the web, at least) there's been a decisive
> shift from "summer time" to "daylight time" in Australia, and a shift
> from abbreviations like "EST" or "EST/EDT" to abbreviations like
> "AEST/AEDT".
>
> Would any other Australians care to chime in on this?

As an Australian, I'd love to see our zones become different
from the EST/EDT stuff -- as long as we use those names, which
are indistinguishable from the US names, lots of stupid software
tends to just express dates as if they were US zones, even when
the date field being parsed also contains an unambiguous numeric
value.  I know it's not the job of the TZ database to fix this
broken software, but changing this seems easy to do and would
have a definite benefit, in my opinion.

And, since we have no proper legislative control of this stuff
in Australia, the TZ database is free to go its own way, so long
as that way is generally useful.

Greg