Chinese timezones

Robert Elz kre at munnari.OZ.AU
Tue Jun 27 02:52:50 UTC 2006

    Date:        Mon, 26 Jun 2006 20:36:43 +0800
    From:        "Zhe Su" <james.su at gmail.com>

  | Actually those are legacy timezones which are not used anymore.

That's probably correct if you're only considering what happens today,
and probably (or perhaps) tomorrow.   But the timezone database wants
to also consider the past, so timestamps made years ago can be correctly
interpreted.

To answer Jesper's question, you should (if you are able) try to give
information on where those old timezones applied, when they were in use
(just what were the boundaries of applicability).

The timezone database itself doesn't care (we're not cartographers).
but others do.

kre

ps: could we please delete from the list anyone who has a mailer that
(insanely) sends disposition notifications (or return receipts, or whatever
you want to call them) to the list, instead of to the address requested.
Then once we've found and eliminated all of those, we can delete from the
list anyone stupid enough to send messages to a mailing list requesting
disposition notification, and so feeding the bugs in all those broken mailers.