America/Moncton (2007)

Chris Walton Chris.Walton at telus.com
Tue Jun 27 04:03:49 UTC 2006

Recent versions of the Olson database contain a time zone named "America/Moncton".
I believe that it was first introduced in version 2006a but I am too lazy to check right now.

Before this new time zone was introduced, people in the Canadian province of New Brunswick had to use "America/Halifax"... Halifax being a city in the neighbouring province of Nova Scotia.

The new zone was created due to differences in legislation between Nova Scotia and New Brunswick.

  Current Nova Scotia law dictates the time change takes place at 2:00 a.m.
  Current New Brunswick law dictates that the time change takes place at 12:01 a.m.

On Dec 23/2005 the New Brunswick government committed to follow the US by extending daylight saving by four weeks starting in 2007.  The new legislation was assented on June 22/2006. It comes into force on March 1/2007.

 The new legislation dictates that the time change is to be done at 2:00 a.m. instead of 12:01 a.m.

We need to update the Olson Database such that America/Moncton uses the "Canada" rule instead of the "Moncton" rule from 2007 onwards.

Here is a link to the "Act to Amend the Time Definition Act"
http://www.gnb.ca/0062/acts/BBA-2006/Chap-19.pdf

-chris