Canada timezones (2007)

Chris Walton Chris.Walton at telus.com
Wed Jun 28 05:44:55 UTC 2006

Paul,

I agree, there should be a zone named Blanc-Sablon.
I would suggest the following entry in the zonetab file:
CA    +5125-5708     America/Blanc-Sablon Atlantic Standard Time - Quebec - Lower North Shore
Also, "E Quebec" should be pulled from the America/Halifax entry in the zonetab file.
It won't be needed after the new zone is added.
I don't think that Iles-de-la-Madeleine or the Listiguj I.R. are significant enough to
require any mention in the zonetab file.

For information on the Lower North Shore region follow this link:
 http://www.coastersassociation.com/tourism/main.html#Municipal

I actually did some digging into this a few weeks ago but I had not posted anything because there is a lot of conflicting information about the time-of-day in this region of Quebec.

All of the Internet time/temperature web sites indicate that Blanc-Sablon and the other Lower North Shore communities observe daylight time.
Some sites place it in Eastern time, others place it in Atlantic time.

Even the NRC "summer time zone map" indicates that the region uses daylight time in the summer.
 http://inms-ienm.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca/images/time_services_images/TZ01SE.pdf

The only web site that seems to show the correct time is the Envionment Canada weather forcast site:
 http://www.weatheroffice.ec.gc.ca/city/pages/qc-163_metric_e.html
Look specifically at the section labeled "Currently" which shows the time in AST (updated hourly on the hour).

If it were up to me, I would also make some changes to the Newfoundland and Labrador entries in the zonetab file.
With the current setup, "W Labrador" is tied to America/Halifax which changes times at 2:00am while "E Labrador" is tied to America/Goose_Bay which changes times at 12:01am.
This is only a suggestion, don't shoot me if you don't like it:
CA      +4734-05243     America/St_Johns     Newfoundland Time - Newfoundland & SE corner of Labrador
CA      +5320-06025     America/Goose_Bay    Atlantic Time - Labrador (all places except SE corner)
CA      +4439-06336     America/Halifax      Atlantic Time - Nova Scotia (most places) and PEI

note: it is not necessary to state "Newfoundland Island" when refering to the island of Newfoundland.
The name of the province changed a few years ago from "Newfoundland" to "Newfoundland and Labrador".
"Newfoundland" means the island of Newfoundland.
"Labrador" means Labrador.
"Newfoundland and Labrador" refers to the provice which is comprised of Newfoundland + Labrador.

-chris