Handling %s format strings

Philip Ross phil.ross at gmail.com
Sun Mar 26 19:53:22 UTC 2006

Philip Ross wrote:
> I'm running into an issue where I'm unable to determine what the zone
> name is in cases where %s is used as the entire format string. This
> happens in the following zones:

After some further checking, I've noticed the same problem also applies
when %s is used as part of the string (e.g. P%sT in
America/Los_Angeles). For America/Los_Angeles, the switch from LMT
happens in 1883, but the first rule is not until 1918. Is there a
standard for these types of zones in the absence of a rule (e.g. S/D)?

Thanks,

Phil