The Kirov case

Jesper Norgaard Welen jnorgard at prodigy.net.mx
Wed May 10 03:41:14 UTC 2006

Thanks for considering the case!

For what it's worth, you might check out this reference, which is the
closest to an authoritative reference (apart from wikipedia) that I could
find.

Wikipedia has a page about the Kirov Oblast' :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kirov_Oblast
this one has a direct link to the official Kirov Oblast web page in russian:
http://www.gov-vyatka.ru/
this web site doesn't seem to have a direct mentioning of the GMT offset,
althought I admit my 3 years college russian is not very able any more, but
there is a direct link to the Kirov page of www.gismeteo.ru which is
http://www.gismeteo.ru/weather/towns/27196.htm
again here I could not find the GMT offset directly, but the page has an
astronomic frame at the left side with a little moon, where the sunrise and
sunset times are 4:21 and 20:53. This corresponds to GMT+4, which means
GMT+3 with DST right now. In World Time Explorer I have Kirov on GMT+4 (+ 1
hour DST) at the moment, and showing sunrise and sunset as 5:18 and 21:57.

I assume here that the Kirov Oblast would not put a direct link to a page
showing the wrong time for it, not even within sunrise or sunset. But for
Russia, we lack authoritative information both regarding current GMT offsets
and timezone history. It must be there somewhere (in Russia), but it's
really hard to excavate with only internet tools and a limited russian
vocabulary.

Regards
- Jesper