Quetico

Jesper Norgaard Welen jnorgard at prodigy.net.mx
Sat Nov 4 21:38:01 UTC 2006

Chris,

Unfortunately I'm getting this error when trying to access the Ontario
Ministry of Natural Resources:
http://themnrstore.mnr.gov.on.ca

Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server error '80004005'
[DBMSSOCN]General network error. Check your network documentation.
//global.asa, line 181

I'm creating a world map, which doesn't have a huge accuracy, however, it is
zoomable, so the simpler the jagged borders I make the more a curve in a
(timezone or country) border looks wrong. There are no splines or other
sophisticated map boundaries (fractals!?). I will be plotting the Quetico
map with the least accurate technology, with a mouse click on each point in
the boundary :-(
That said, I would like to get as much accuracy as I can get, although it is
also an issue not to have too many points for a boundary, because the size
of the map data will blow up disproportionately.

Many of the country borders I got from a pre-made map, and this map has more
accuracy in some areas and less in others. I tend to want more accuracy with
small islands or timezones, while less on bigger outlines, like Quebec or
Ontario.

I *do* understand that this practice is in contradiction with the current
legislation, but then I want to document current practice when it has a
tendency to be official, for instance official park personnel would use
GMT-5 everywhere in the park when reporting something on the ground inside
the park area, while park visitants might have a different time, as they
please.

Regards,
- Jesper