Strange historic timezone in Nigeria

Jesper Norgaard Welen jnorgard at prodigy.net.mx
Mon Oct 30 06:43:39 UTC 2006

Hi, tz emailing list

I have stumbled over a peculiarity in the historic data about Nigeria,
the africa file contains:

Zone	Africa/Niamey	 0:08:28 -	LMT	1912
			-1:00	-	WAT	1934 Feb 26
			 0:00	-	GMT	1960
			 1:00	-	WAT

Since the timezone abbreviation 'WAT' is the same seemingly for both GMT-1
and
GMT+1, my suspicion is that it should rather be

Zone	Africa/Niamey	 0:08:28 -	LMT	1912
			 1:00	-	WAT	1934 Feb 26
			 0:00	-	GMT	1960
			 1:00	-	WAT

which would make more sense from the lunar mean time value ...

As a side-question, I'm trying to determine a meaningful area for the
timezones Atikokan and Nipigon, it seems to me that they would be small,
like a US county for instance, but I can't find anything about it. It seems
they most be within the larger areas Rainy River district and Thunder Bay
district, but how would it look on a map?

Regards,
Jesper