Default time zone for a location (previously Europe/London)

Ken Pizzini "tz." at explicate.org
Tue Sep 5 23:06:29 UTC 2006

On Tue, Sep 05, 2006 at 06:47:46PM +0200, Srdjan Krajnalic wrote:
> May I piggy-back a question regarding persistence of some of the rules and a
> greater picture of areas vs. locations?

> Zone Africa/Algiers  0:12:12 -  LMT  1891 Mar 15 0:01
>                      0:09:21 -  PMT  1911 Mar 11    # Paris Mean Time
>
> Paris longitude is, according to one source, 002 E 20 and Algiers is 003 E
> 03. To a certain extent one is tempted to interpret PMT as LMT because it is
> (?) based on politics and not time zone conventions, so the question is was
> time in Annaba (some 10* East of Algiers) offset by 0:09:21 in 1900, or was
> it LMT?

Well, time zone conventions are based on politics, so I'm not
completely sure what distinction you meant to convey there, but...

Until 1891-03-15, Annaba would be following its own LMT, about 40
minutes ahead of Algiers (if your 10 degree comment is correct;
it looks more like 5 degrees to me, but I don't have a good map).
Then it would join Algiers in following PMT, along with the rest
of Algeria: as a French colony, they would be observing France's
official time, as referenced through the center of the principal
transit instrument in the official observatory in Paris.

		--Ken Pizzini