Early DST in Uruguay

Jesper Norgaard Welen jnorgard at prodigy.net.mx
Thu Sep 7 04:56:39 UTC 2006

Gentlemen (and women), we have an early definition of perpetual DST in
Uruguay. The government of Uruguay wants to be predictable ... grin 8-) ...
at least in timezone matters.

The web page http://www.presidencia.gub.uy/_web/decretos/2006/09/09_2006.htm
states that "04/09/06 - SE ADELANTA LA HORA OFICIAL A PARTIR DE LA HORA
02:00 AM DEL PRIMER DOMINGO DEL MES DE OCTUBRE DE CADA AÑO. DEC. N° 311/006"
translation "04/09/06 - official time will be advanced at 2:00 AM of the
First Sunday of October of every year". It links to
http://www.presidencia.gub.uy/_web/decretos/2006/09/CM%20210_08%2006%202006_
00001.PDF which have the following 4 points:

I) that the (DST) measure is meant to produce conditions for a saving of
energy and an improvement in the daily use (of electricity) and a
displacement of the peak of summer electricity use.

II) that it is convenient for all involved, to consolidate a periodic and
predictable system of this adjustment of clocks.

III) that for the above reasons the official time will be adjusted to the
period 2:00 AM of the First Sunday of October and 2:00 AM of the Second
Sunday of March each year.

IV) that the proposed measure will become an important energy saving.

Especially I like the second point, there are unfortunately few governments
that don't have a predictable timezone system yet, which convert to a
predictable system where timezone changes can be calculated into the future,
well, at least in theory.

I will not go into the details of how the Uruguay rule in the southamerica
file should be changed, except that for 2006 and perpetually DST starts "Oct
Sun>=1" and ends "Mar Sun>=8".

Regards,
- Jesper

Jesper Nørgaard Welen
Email: jnorgard at Prodigy.Net.mx
Project Leader (Líder de Proyecto) Software
CIMMYT  -  Centro Internacional de Mejoramiento de Maíz y Trigo
Dirección: CIMMYT Int. c/o Jesper Nørgaard
Km. 45, Carretera México-Veracruz
El Batán
Texcoco, Edo. de México
CP 56130   MEXICO
Tel.:	+52 (55) 58-04-20-04  ext. 1374
Fax:	+52 (55) 58-04-75-58
Tel. Casa:   53-10-05-95  ó  53-10-97-78
Download the shareware program World Time Explorer, I made:
http://www.worldtimeexplorer.com/index.html