Time zone rules change

Oscar van Vlijmen ovv at hetnet.nl
Wed Sep 13 21:27:58 UTC 2006

From: "Rodrigo Severo"

> I have just tried to modify the africa file to represent the modification that
> will probably be necessary for Egypt as per Hammad's info (The Egyptian
> Gazette, 10th September):
> EGYPT will switch back to the winter
> time on the eve of the first day of the
> Muslim holy month of Ramadan, expected
> to start this year on September 24.

The first couple of theoretical Ramadans (day 1 of month 9 in the Islamic
calendar) start at:

Islamic year - Gregorian date (year, month, day)
1427 - 2006,9,24
1428 - 2007,9,13
1429 - 2008,9,2
1430 - 2009,8,22
1431 - 2010,8,11
1432 - 2011,8,1
1433 - 2012,7,20
1434 - 2013,7,9
1435 - 2014,6,29
1436 - 2015,6,18
1437 - 2016,6,7
1438 - 2017,5,27
1439 - 2018,5,16
1440 - 2019,5,6
1441 - 2020,4,24

(My calculations, based on Reingold/Dershowitz "Calendrical Calculations"
algorithms).

There are several schemes for guessing the time at which a crescent will be
first visible, but in principle it cannot be calculated up front.
The start of the religious Ramadan can be one or two days later than the
calculated date.