West Falkland time zone

Paul Eggert eggert at CS.UCLA.EDU
Sun Apr 1 18:03:32 UTC 2007

Rives McDow <rmcdow at globaltimesystems.org> writes:

> http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/shared/spl/hi/picture_gallery/07/in_pictures_class_of_one/html/2.stm

Thanks.  I suppose we should have a separate entry for this.
But I'm not sure what location we should use.  In your 2001-02-13 email you wrote:

  Also, there is no mention in the list that some areas in the
  Falklands do not use DST.  I have found in my communications there
  that these areas are on the western half of East Falkland and all of
  West Falkland.  Stanley is the only place that consistently observes
  DST.  Again, as in other places in the world, the farmers don't like
  it.  West Falkland is almost entirely sheep farmers.

Our usual rule is to use the most populous location in the area, but
the boundaries of this area seem to be fairly vague.  Perhaps Port
Howard would be best?  (Or maybe Goose Green? but it might flip-flop.)

Part of the problem is that I don't have good figures for populations
of these small towns.  www.world-gazetteer.com estimates 80 for Goose
Green, 39 for Port Howard, and 22 for Grytviken, but that's it (other
than Port Stanley of course).