FW: suggestion for simplified represention of timezone rules

Paul Eggert eggert at CS.UCLA.EDU
Tue Jan 9 06:46:01 UTC 2007

Robert Hodge <roberth at sisconet.com> writes:

> It's not a source code issue.  I have been able to compile it on windows.
> The problem is that the resultant files don't work correctly.  They
> don't reflect the rules that are defined in the zoneinfo source files.

In what sense do the files not work, exactly?

For example, does your zic's output match the output generated by zic
on GNU/Linux or Unix machines?  If so, then the problem is not with
the way you built zic; it lies somewhere else.  If not, then exactly
how does the output differ?

> It appears that the existing zoneinfo 'compilers' are misinterpreting
> the text data and are building binary zone files incorrectly.

zic should be quite reliable on GNU/Linux and Unix platforms, as its
output is used in a lot of places.  Occasionally we get bug reports,
and we do fix any specific bugs that are reported.  It is certainly
quite possible that there is a portability bug when zic is run on
non-POSIXish platforms.  However, your report did not contain enough
details for us to know what the bug is, or how to reproduce it.