Cross building tzcode

John Faith jfaith at freescale.com
Thu Jan 11 18:33:53 UTC 2007

Hello,
In the hope that this might be useful to someone else, attached is a
patch to the main tzcode Makefile that we use to cross build.  The
reason for the patch is that in a cross-compiling environment,
generating the data files requires a zic which runs on the host and the
target requires the cross-built binary, so the Makefile generates both.
  I have tested this with ARM targets.

We build using a rpm .spec file with something like:

make  HOST_CC=<path_to_the_host_cc> TOPDIR=%{__prefix}
TZDIR=%{_prefix}/share/zoneinfo ETCDIR=%{_prefix}/usr/bin

By the way, you can probably ignore the parts about "nawk"->"awk" (I did
not have nawk installed), and the bit about "ksh"->"bash" (I didn't have
ksh).

Thanks!
,
John Faith