TimeZones and international waters

Paul Goyette pgoyette at juniper.net
Sun Jul 1 18:50:08 UTC 2007

Generally, the territorial waters extend 12 miles from shore.  In
cases of conflict (ie, a point is less than 12 miles from the
shores of two or more countries), the dividing line is established
by treaty.  I think there are still a few areas where treaties have
not been adopted, so there might be some "gray" areas...

International Treaties permit definition of "Economic Excclusion
Zones" (the US EEZ is a 200-mile limit).  Fishing limits apply in
such areas, but boarding rights and controls over shipping etc.
don not apply.

Paul Goyette
Juniper Networks Customer Service
and former skipper of the 61' Cheoy Lee motor yacht "Gentle Wind"
on her 2005 journey across the Pacific Ocean.