French Polynesia time zones

Jesper Norgaard Welen jnorgard at prodigy.net.mx
Mon Jul 9 01:08:01 UTC 2007

Perhaps the following link will interest Eric Muller and the rest of the
mailing list members:

http://www.timegenie.com/country.time/pf/

The FAQ mentioned of the Tahiti tourism web site in fact has the URL
http://www.tahiti-tourisme.com/planner/tahitifaqs.asp (it seems to have
changed name since timegenie site documented it).

Eric asked for a recognition of the three time zones in the tz database for
French Polynesia. The explanation in the timegenie web site is:

"According to the official  <http://www.tahiti-tourisme.com/> Tahiti
Tourisme web site, Tahiti and her Islands have two times zones. This
information can be found in the
<http://www.tahiti-tourisme.com/planner/faqs.asp> FAQ section. However,
Tahiti and her islands have in fact three time zones. The third time zone is
not mentioned on the Tahiti Tourisme web site. Most likely, the third time
zone is not mentioned since it is not visited by many tourists due to its
distance from the main island of Tahiti.

Since there is no official mention of the third time zone, timegenie.com
contacted a Tahiti Tourisme office by phone. The result was that
timegenie.com received official confirmation of the third time zone.

Based on the information provided by Tahiti Tourisme, the majority of the
islands, including the island of Tahiti itself, are -10 hours UTC/GMT. The
Marquesas Islands are -9 hours 30 minutes UTC/GMT. The Gambier Islands are
the third time zone and they are -9 hours UTC/GMT."

I hope it's alright to quote timegenie for this information.

I haven't found myself an official French Polynesia goverment web site
confirming this information, but my french is limited to a 40-hour course so
it is not to much use in this investigation.

Regards,
- Jesper

Jesper Nørgaard Welen
Email: jnorgard at Prodigy.Net.mx
Project Leader (Líder de Proyecto) Software
CIMMYT  -  Centro Internacional de Mejoramiento de Maíz y Trigo
Dirección: CIMMYT Int. c/o Jesper Nørgaard
Km. 45, Carretera México-Veracruz
El Batán
Texcoco, Edo. de México
CP 56130   MEXICO
Tel.:   +52 (55) 58-04-20-04  ext. 1374
Fax:    +52 (55) 58-04-75-58
Tel. Casa:   53-10-05-95  ó  53-10-97-78
Download the shareware program World Time Explorer, I made:
http://www.worldtimeexplorer.com/index.html