Vietnam: Saigon is deprecated, should use capital Hanoi

Claus Färber GMANE at faerber.muc.de
Tue Jul 10 16:13:14 UTC 2007

Tony Finch schrieb:
> On Tue, 10 Jul 2007, Claus Färber wrote:
>> If city is defined as municipality, the following are wrong:
>>
>>   Europe/London should be Europe/Birmingham
>
> Not if it's London as in the Greater London Authority (or, historically,
> the Greater London Council, the London County Council, etc.), as opposed
> to the City of London which has been only a small part of the geography
> and government of the greater city for centuries.

The GLA is a super-city authority, covering multiple cities such as the
City of London, the City of Westminster, etc. Well, that just proves my
point that the term "city" introduces ambiguity.

It's simply inconsistent to treat Greater London as a "city", which is
made up of multiple municipalities like the City of London, Westminster,
etc., but not the Ruhrgebiet (5.3 million and thus larger than Berlin,
3.4 million), which is made up of municipalities like Essen, Bochum or
Dortmund and also has a super-city authority: the Regionalverband Ruhr
(RVR).

It's also inconsistent to treat Greater London as a "city" and not
Greater Milan (7 million), which would be substantially larger than
Rome or Greater Rome (2.5 or 3.3 million).

Bending the rules in similar ways, Shanghai (上海) suddenly has a
population of 9.4 millions (the agglomeration, not the larger
administrative area) and Beijing (北京) has 11.5 millions (the
agglomeration, not the administrative area and not the "core city").

It does not work with Saigon/Ho Chi Minh City (Thành phố Hồ Chí Minh)
and Hanoi (Hà Nội), though.

Claus