Vietnam: Saigon is deprecated, should use capital Hanoi

Mark Davis mark.davis at icu-project.org
Tue Jul 10 23:45:53 UTC 2007

I agree with Gwillim Law; these are just identifiers. As far as I'm
concerned, the best strategy would be

   1. Never change remove or change what is in zone.tab.
   2. Only add a new identifier to zone.tab if a zone splits.
   3. For such a new identifier, pick the largest city in the new zone
   according to some reasonable authority (eg National Geographic Atlas
   of the World). Since it is just an identifier, don't worry about whether or
   not it includes metropolitan areas or how; don't worry about whether
   the authority is the best possible one or not.
   4. Make sure that last field is unique, eg don't have
   America/United_States/San_Jose if you have America/Costa_Rica/San_Jose. If
   it would not be unique, choose a different identifier for zone.tab, or
   have some minor modification (San_Jose2)
   5. Add aliases (links) where useful for clarification.

Short of that, the current policies are reasonable, although it forces other
parties (like CLDR) to impose additional measures for stability of
identifiers.

Mark

--
Mark