FW: Time Zone mapping --> Windows ???

Masayoshi Okutsu Masayoshi.Okutsu at Sun.COM
Wed Jul 11 15:03:38 UTC 2007

On 7/11/2007 1:21 PM, Dave Rolsky wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Jul 2007, Bernard Desruisseaux wrote:
>
>> Mapping from Windows Time Zone Names to Olson Time Zone Keys
>> http://www.chronos-st.org/Windows-to-Olson.html
>
> Unfortunately, these names are localized in Windows, so this mapping
> only works for English language Windows versions. I'm using this
> mapping in a Perl module I wrote (DateTime::TimeZone -
> http://search.cpan.org/dist/DateTime-TimeZone/) and got a bug report
> from a user regarding this issue.

In case you are tring to find out the tzid for the current Windows time
zone...

The time zone names from GetTimeZoneInformation() are localized. You'd
need to find the "Time Zones" registry entry that matches the
GetTimeZoneInformation() return value. Then, its registry key name can
be used to look up a mapping table. However, different Windows versions
use different key names. And some old localized Windows (NT/2000) have
localized key names. In that case Java uses the mapID value which is not
in Windows XP with a time zone patch and Vista. IIRC, key name "GMT" is
used for different time zones in different Windows versions. It's a mess
if you try to map Windows time zones to tzids...

Masayoshi