Vietnam: Saigon is deprecated, should use capital Hanoi

Robert Elz kre at munnari.OZ.AU
Fri Jul 13 13:59:11 UTC 2007

    Date:        Fri, 13 Jul 2007 10:17:50 +0100
    From:        "Clive D.W. Feather" <clive at demon.net>

  | But so what? Every country has its own concept of what a "city" is and how
  | it differs from a town.

Actually, for us, that distinction isn't relevant either.   We use "city"
to just mean "local population centre" - whether that's a village, town
or "city" in some other nomenclature doesn't matter.   All that matters is
that it is a location where people live closely enough together that they're
all going to set their clocks to the same time.   (If some area that people
might like to call a city, such as the Coolangatta/Tweed Heads on the Qld/NSW
border in Aust, doesn't have the "same time" property, then it is useless
for our purposes, and doesn't warrang further consideration, unless perhaps
one or more of its time zones is uniquely used in that area)

  | Does "Greater Milan" have a single governmental authority?

That doesn't matter either - the Sydney/Blacktown example would fail if
that were the test.   The local govt authority for Sydney covers a fairly
small area, and while the population there during working hours is fairly
high, not very many actually live there, there are plenty of municipalities
(with their own local govt) that would have larger populations than the
city of Sydney (according to municipal boundaries).  Whether Blacktown is
the biggest of them or not I have no idea, but it might be.

But that's not the Sydney that almost anyone thinks of - even people who
live in Blacktown would tell you that they're from Sydney if you ask them,
not from Blacktown - not unless you ask "where in Sydney?".   Sydney for
our purposes includes all its suburbs, and perhaps even (these days) the
Illawarra region (Wollongong etc) and maybe even Newcastle (if it doesn't
it probably will within a few years).

kre