FW: How to support such capabilites based on current Olson Time Zone implementation

Martin Dong cppcraze at gmail.com
Mon Jul 30 09:21:51 UTC 2007

Dear Markus and Yoshito,

Thanks for leading me to ICU project, which is really a full-featured
library for internationalization. I feel it's more appropriate to consider
using it from the very initial system design. However our system has already
had its own internationalization mechanism, now we only want to utilize
Olson Time Zone database. We need a light-weight solution but I think ICU is
too heavy for us.

Actually tzcode is a light-weight implementation, if I can make some change
based on it to support what I want, I think it's enough.

Dear Olson,

I want to know more about tzfile in binary form. Is there any other detailed
description? I feel it's a little bit hard to get it understood just through
the tzcode (because the comments are vrey few:-).

Btw, for now can any new functionality be added into tzcode implementation?
Or another question, if my change can meet my requirements and it goes into
our system, does it need to go into Olson tzcode?

Sincerely,
-Martin