proposed change to 'zic' to support "outlandish" offsets

Steven R. Loomis srl at icu-project.org
Tue May 1 18:55:20 UTC 2007

Hello,
   I've been following this discussion with interest, and we have
discussed it a bit on the ICU mailing list (which is an application
library which does time zone and calendar calculations, among other
things).
   What would be ideal is not to change the system clock to be
'back', but to have the default calendar used by all formatters/
parsers to be a Julian one.  ( i.e. as opposed to Gregorian,
Japanese, etc. ) .  One major benefit of this is that otherwise
communication in and out (such as email dates..) will be all wrong.
Time zone calculations could be simply done according to the
Gregorian calendar ( to not affect either ICU or TZ infrastructure )
with the gregorian dates for changeover, whether the intended
changeovers are in J or G time.   (similar to how Israel time is
handled, for example.)  In other words, Athos time's zone rules could
be in the TZ database according  to the Gregorian dates of DST
changes. Or would it follow Greece's DST rules?

   I think that having an outlandish offset would complicate things
more than simply recalculating day of week, day of month, etc.  based
on a different calendar system, as if it were the Hebrew or Islamic
or Hindi calendar.

Regards,
  Steven
http://icu-project.org