tzcode2007h.tar.gz - Functions defined with prototypes and C99 features?

Jonathan Leffler jonathan.leffler at gmail.com
Tue Nov 6 15:51:50 UTC 2007

In the tzcode2007h.tar.gz file, there is (at least) one function that is
defined in prototype notation:

static time_t
hunt(char *name, time_t lot, time_t hit)

It seems to me that the code assumes that there is a 64-bit integer type
(int_fast64_t (function detzcode64()), though the code goes through some
machinations to find a 64-bit integer and doesn't outright assume C99
compliance.

Is there actually a good reason not to write the whole library with ISO
prototypes?  And lose the historically necessary but now unnecessary P macro
for declaring functions with (or without) prototypes.  Which platform(s) do
not provide a C compiler that is capable of handling prototypes?  I know of
none on the major platforms...Unix, Linux, Windows (though maybe the bundled
C compiler on HP-UX is still unaware, but that is intended for linking
kernels, not program development).

--
Jonathan Leffler <jonathan.leffler at gmail.com>  #include <disclaimer.h>
Guardian of DBD::Informix - v2007.0914 - http://dbi.perl.org