proposed changes to eliminate P macro

Paul Eggert eggert at CS.UCLA.EDU
Wed Nov 14 00:43:10 UTC 2007

Ken Pizzini <tz_ at explicate.org> writes:

> I'd personally prefer to allow compilers that are C89 compliant
> (provided that some sort of 64-bit integer is supported) to work
> with this code, if possible, rather than requiring full C99 support.

I'll second that.  Very few full C99 environments actually exist yet.
I just now ran into a bug with Sun's current compiler; it mishandles
wider-than-32-bit integers in preprocessor expressions when it is
running on 32-bit sparc, because the compiler doesn't support that
part of C99 correctly yet.  GCC doesn't claim full C99 support yet
either.