FW: FW: Corrections to historic German timezone information

Markus Scherer markus.icu at gmail.com
Wed Feb 6 06:56:50 UTC 2008

On Feb 5, 2008 3:03 PM, Paul Eggert <eggert at cs.ucla.edu> wrote:
> It seems to me that the political issue here might be addressed better
> simply by treating Berlin more like other occupied cities.  If you
> look at the rules for Paris, you'll see that it switches from "France"
> to "C-Eur" rules during German occupation.  For Berlin, it would make
> sense for it to switch from "C-Eur" to Soviet rules when the Soviets
> imposed their own DST rules.

This is what I don't understand:

All of France, and Paris, was occupied. It makes sense to apply the
occupier's rules that were in effect there during the occupation.

In Berlin there were multiple occupiers. The eastern sector [2] was
smaller and less populous than the three western ones together [1].
The TZ's Europe/Berlin time zone is used for Germany as a whole, and a
larger portion of the country (by both area and population) was in the
West.

Should the TZ rules not reflect the transitions in the larger part of
the territory, for historical data where the TZ database won't split
the time zone to describe each of the parts?

[1] http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/West-Berlin
[2] http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ost-Berlin

markus