TZ

Andrew Novick novick at nist.gov
Tue Feb 19 21:32:40 UTC 2008

Hello,

I am Andrew Novick from the NIST Time and Frequency Division.  Although we
are not an official source for time zones, we do use time zone data for our
higher uncertainty time dissemination methods, like the www.time.gov web
site.  We have been talking to the DOT and GPO about TZ standards.

I have not waded through the TZarchive completely, but can you give me a
primer on it's reference sources and intent?

One of your current interests is whether or not it is imperative to keep
3-letter TZ designations.  With zones like Chamorro, Hawaii-Aleutian and
Alaska, many sources have used 4-letter designations.

Thanks!

Andrew Novick
NIST
novick at nist.gov