FW: when did China adopt one time zone?

Thomas S. Mullaney tsmullaney at stanford.edu
Mon Feb 11 20:49:25 UTC 2008

I think you're combining two subjects that need to treated
separately: daylight savings (which, you're correct, wasn't
implemented until the 1980s) and the unified time zone centered near
Beijing (which was implemented in 1949). Briefly, there was also a
"Lhasa Time" in Tibet and "Urumqi Time" in Xinjiang. The first was
ceased, and the second eventually recognized (again, in the 1980s).

--

---
Thomas S. Mullaney

Department of History