Australian Capital Territory DST rule change?

Paul Eggert eggert at CS.UCLA.EDU
Wed Jul 9 21:37:04 UTC 2008

A story in the July 3 ABC News (Australia) says that the Australian
Capital Territory (ACT) will change its daylight-saving rules starting
October, to bring it into line with Tasmania, New South Wales,
Victoria, and South Australia.  Until now, I didn't know that the ACT
had different rules from its neighbors.  I guess this means we'll need
to add a new Zone Australia/Canberra to deal with the discrepancy?

It is pretty weird that the ACT was a small island of one UTC offset
in a sea of a different UTC offsets.  To be honest, I'm having a bit
of a tough time believing this news report.  Maybe I'm reading it
incorrectly?  But if it's correct, does anyone know when the ACT
started diverging from NSW and Victoria?

Thanks.

Here's the story:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2008/07/03/2294048.htm