proposed time zone package changes: Brazil; Mauritius; URL fixes

Rodrigo Severo rodrigo at fabricadeideias.com
Mon Jun 30 23:26:19 UTC 2008

On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 7:42 PM, Arthur David Olson <
olsona at elsie.nci.nih.gov> wrote:

> Below find proposed changes to files in the time zone package:
>        * australasia, europe, and southamerica: changes by Halász Sándor
> Viktor to fix URLs.
>        * africa: changes to reflect Mauritius's 2008-2009 DST experiment.
>        * southamerica and zone.tab: changes to reflect Brazilian time zone
> realignments.
>
> As usual, I plan to let these percolate over a weekend;
> if no problems are found tzdata2008d.tar.gz should appear on 2008-07-07.

The text by Paul Schulze about Brazilian timezones is missing all accented
characters. Here is the text with the proper characters:

+ # From Paul Schulze (2008-06-24):
+ # ...by law number 11.662 of April 24, 2008 (published in the "Diário
Oficial da União"...)
+ # in Brazil there are changes in the timezones, effective today (00:00am
+ # at June 24, 2008) as follows:
+ #
+ # a) The timezone UTC+5 is e[x]tinguished, with all the Acre state and the
+ # part of the Amazonas state that had this timezone now being put to the
+ # timezone UTC+4
+ # b) The whole Pará state now is put at timezone UTC+3, instead of just
+ # part of it, as was before.
+ #
+ # This change follows a proposal of senator Tião Viana of Acre state, that
+ # proposed it due to concerns about open television channels displaying
+ # programs inappropriate to youths in the states that had the timezone
+ # UTC+5 too early in the night. In the occasion, some more corrections
+ # were proposed, trying to unify the timezones of any given state. This
+ # change modifies timezone rules defined in decree 2.784 of 18 June,
+ # 1913.

Regards,

Rodrigo Severo