FW: Sryia

Olson, Arthur David (NIH/NCI) [E] olsona at dc37a.nci.nih.gov
Mon Mar 17 15:29:55 UTC 2008

Between 1999 and 2006 Syria always changed to DST on April 1. In 2007
the change was at the start of Friday, March 30; this year it's set for
the start of Friday, April 4. Absent better information, my guess is
that the transition now happens at the start of the Friday that's
nearest to April 1.

Back in 2004 we changed the time zone compiler so that when presented
with a rule such as...
	# Rule NAME  FROM TO  TYPE IN  ON      AT   SAVE LETTER/S
	Rule   Syria 2007 max -    Mar Fri>=29 0:00 1:00 S
...the compiler creates a transition for March 29, March 30, March 31,
April 1, April 2, April 3, or April 4 (it's prepared to roll over into
the next month for the transition). Such rules break older versions zic,
but it's a noisy break: you get a message such as...
	"asia", line 1392: no day in month matches rule...
...and the compiler gives up the ghost.

Can we now comfortably use constructs such as "Fri>=29" in database
files?

				--ado