Renaming Saigon to TP Ho Chi Minh

Claus Färber GMANE at faerber.muc.de
Fri Mar 21 17:49:02 UTC 2008

Robert Elz schrieb:
>   | If we were to have political links for countries, why make them
>   | based on cities at all? We could simply have Asia/Vietnam.
>
> That's more or less how the timezone names started out.  It changed
> because that doesn't work in general.   Sure, it would be OK for
> Vietnam, but what would America/USA mean?   (Or America/Canada ?
> etc...)

I don't think the new system really works better. It moves the problems
from the database management to the people using it.

How do you know you're supposed to select America/Indiana/Vincennes if
you live in America/USA/Indiana/Martin_County and not America/Indiana/
Indianapolis?

What happens if, e.g. Spain decides to move part of the country from CET
(+01:00) to WET (+00:00)? Europe/Madrid would suddenly become wrong for
all of the users without warning.
If Europe/Spain was replaced with Europe/Spain/*, users could be
prompted to select the correct zone.

Claus