UTC offset for Asia/Choibalsan

Steffen Thorsen straen at thorsen.priv.no
Mon Mar 31 13:55:52 UTC 2008

Deborah Goldsmith wrote:
> We received a bug report claiming that the tz database UTC offset for
> Asia/Choibalsan (GMT+09:00) is incorrect, and that it should be
> GMT+08:00 instead. Different sources appear to disagree with the tz
> database on this, e.g.:
>
> http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/city.html?n=1026
> http://www.worldtimeserver.com/current_time_in_MN.aspx
>
> both say GMT+08:00.
>
> Do we have any independent confirmation of the correct offset for
> Asia/Choibalsan?
Several reporters in the past on this mailing list have also reported GMT+8.
For instance, eznis airways, which operates several domestic flights,
has a flight schedule here:
http://www.eznis.com/Container.jsp?id=112 (click the English flag for
English)

There it appears that flights between Choibalsan and Ulaanbatar arrive
about 1:35 - 1:50 hours later in local clock time, no matter the
direction, while Ulaanbaatar-Khvod takes 2 hours in the Eastern
direction and 3:35 back, which indicates that Ulaanbatar and Khvod are
in different time zones (like we know about), while Choibalsan and
Ulaanbatar are in the same time zone (correction needed).

Best regards,
Steffen Thorsen / timeanddate.com