West Wendover NV time zone

Eric Muller emuller at adobe.com
Thu Nov 13 15:08:54 UTC 2008

Jesper Norgaard Welen wrote:
> Vernon Cole claimed to me that we need a new time zone for West
> Wendover, Nevada. After checking the case I think he is right.

On the other hand, one of the reasons that is used to justify the change
of legal time zone is:

> 15. Historically, West Wendover has always operated on Mountain
> time. Prior to the 1980s, there was no reason to do otherwise because
> there was literally nothing to the town fifty yards past the state
> line. When West Wendover began to ``boom,'' the town tried to operate
> by Pacific time. According to the Mayor, this action created mass
> confusion for both residents and those outside the community.

So if tz is more interested in *actual* time zones than in *legal* time
zones, then there is no need for a tz timezone; all we need is declare
that the geographical extent of America/Denver includes West Wendover. I
don't think that capturing the confusion that occurred during the trial
is worth it.

Eric.