Argentina DST blues

Petr Machata pmachata at redhat.com
Fri Oct 17 08:45:49 UTC 2008

Mariano Absatz - El Baby wrote:
> Clint Adams escribió el 16/10/08 10:36:
>> On Thu, Oct 16, 2008 at 01:36:37PM +0200, Petr Machata wrote:
>>
>>> I'm eyeing the sources, and is seems to me that we need to split
>>> America/Argentina/Catamarca in two, one for Catamarca (which doesn't
>>> plan to introduce the DST), and one for Chubut (which does).  The
>>> most  populous city in Chubut, per wikipedia, is Comodoro Rivadavia,
>>> "often  referred simply as Comodoro", hence the zone would be
>>> America/Argentina/Comodoro.
>>>

>> There is already America/Argentina/ComodRivadavia; you might want to use
>> that.
>>
> Mmmhhh America/Argentina/ComodRivadavia is a link in the backward
> file... and I don't like either the contraction "ComodRivadavia" or
> "Comodoro" which is a generic naval rank (as would be "Real Admiral")...
> I think America/Argentina/Comodoro_Rivadavia would be a better choice

Yeah, but "a file name component must not exceed 14 characters [...]"
(it's in the Theory file).  That's why I used Comodoro in the first
place (not noticing the backlink), and that's the reason the backlink
name has so awkward spelling.  I'd rather reuse the already existing
backlink, if it's not a problem to change a backlink back to a
full-fledged zone, just to keep the namespace cleaner.

PM