Argentina DST blues

Mariano Absatz - El Baby baby at baby.com.ar
Sun Oct 19 04:54:21 UTC 2008

Nicolas Alvarez escribió el 19/10/08 02:13:
> Mariano Absatz - El Baby wrote:
>
>> Nicolas Alvarez escribió el 19/10/08 01:04:
>>
>>> This is going to be a disaster again, anyway. The date just arrived, and
>>> my clock didn't change.
>>>

>> are you in the DST applying region?
>>

> Buenos Aires.
>

>> what version of tzdata are you using?
>>

> 2008g-0ubuntu0.8.04. I upgraded to version h (from hardy-proposed) and it
> still didn't update the KDE clock, and 'date' says I'm in ART, but from a
> direct terminal (a real TTY, not an X-based console emulator) it did give
> the right time (ARST). I downgraded back to 'g', and actually I still see
> the same (ARST on a tty, ART on KDE clock and running 'date' on a terminal
> emulator). Do I have to *logout* to see the change?

Yes :-)

>> what is your /etc/localtime?
>>

> What am I supposed to do with it? I ran "cat" and it filled my terminal with
> binary junk.

You should run a binary compare to
/usr/share/zoneinfo/America/Argentina/Buenos_Aires ... in a terminal:

$ cmp /etc/localtime /usr/share/zoneinfo/America/Argentina/Buenos_Aires

if it is silent, it's OK (they're identical)

>>> And I'll bet BIG money that Microsoft didn't get an update in time
>>> either.
>>>

>> The Microsoft procedures are hell... checkout the instrucions at
>> http://www.microsoft.com/argentina/dst/actualizacion.aspx it includes a
>> link to a 20 page pdf...
>>
>> It couldn't be any more manual or cumbersome...
>>

> I'm wondering what should I tell everyone I know who uses Windows? Clearly I
> can't just give them the link to microsoft, since it's such a mess. But I
> definitely don't want to let them naively *change the clock*.

quick and dirty NO WARRANTIES:

login to an account with administrator rights

1) backup the registry (just in case)

2) download ms-tz-argentina-2008-10-16.reg from
http://wiki.clueless.com.ar/ActualizarTimezonesConTzdata?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=ms-tz-argentina-2008-10-16.reg
(this is a copy I made from the tzupdate.reg referred in MS's pdf
instructions).

3) double-click on it and it will ask if you are sure you want to modify
the registry, say yes (you have a backup anyway, right?

4) double click on the clock in the systray, the "set date and time"
window will open

5) select the "time zone" tab

6) choose "(GMT-03:00) Buenos Aires"

7) make sure the "adjust dst" (or whatever it's called) checkbox in that
window is CHECKED

8) press OK

that should be it (no need to reboot).

> (I'm a contributor to an open source software that REALLY doesn't like the
> clock changing. We had a user on the forum who apparently used Windows's
> calendar as a vacation planner, changed the system date a few days forward,
> then back to the right one, and the program completely stopped working.
> Presumably would have suddenly started working again after those "few days"
> passed.)

I don't know anything about this... the pdf speaks quite a lot about
handling outlook which, since I don't use I didn't care... at least
*you* should read the instructions and try to make some sense of it...

--
Mariano Absatz - "El Baby"
baby at baby.com.ar
www.clueless.com.ar