License for the tzdata information

Olson, Arthur David (NIH/NCI) [E] olsona at dc37a.nci.nih.gov
Tue Apr 28 23:27:59 UTC 2009

There's no license.

        --ado

-----Original Message-----
From: Edwin Groothuis [mailto:edwin at mavetju.org]
Sent: Tue 4/28/2009 6:00 PM
To: tz at lecserver.nci.nih.gov
Subject:  License for the tzdata information

For all the years I have never worried about this, but today I got an email in
my mailbox asking me "Since this is vendor imported data, we would like to
register under which license this data is distributed.".

Unfortunately I got not much info from Wikipedia, the tzdata or the tzcode
files. The tzcode says "This code is in the public domain", but the tzdata
doesn't have it, just a "This information is by no means authoritative".

So... is there a license under which the tzdata is distributed?

Edwin