FW: New home for time zone stuff by 2012?

Gilles Espinasse g.esp at free.fr
Thu Aug 27 16:09:42 UTC 2009

Selon Robert Elz <kre at munnari.OZ.AU>:

..
>   | Possible options (as already indicated by Mr. Olson) include:
>   | - Moving it to an "open source" location (such as SourceForge, which has
>   | been already suggested)
>
> Personally, I'd hate to see this model.   I suspect that one of the real
> reasons for the success and quality of the timezone code and data is
> precisely because this model has not been followed.   The code and data
> is open source in the sense that anyone can grab it, and do whatever they
> like with it, but it is 100% closed in the sense that there's exactly one
> person who gets to actually make the changes.

I will speak for what I know and use.
The number of person(s) accredited to change the code has no link
with the system used to distribute the code. You may have only one person with
write rights on source and data trees and a different or same person allowed to
upload a package (even it should be wise to have more than one admin for the
project live).

Actual delivery system broke any script used to build from source each time a
new tzdata package is delivered (and previous is removed). This could be
considered sometime as a feature but is painfull for others.
One quality of sourceforge is that you never remove a package that has been made
available. SF is low (time) cost, very low maintenance for the project admin.

Gilles