Unicode Consortium (Re: New home for time zone stuff by 2012?)

Dafydd Rhys-Jones D.Rhys-Jones at F5.com
Thu Aug 27 18:41:35 UTC 2009

-----Original Message-----
From: akuster [mailto:akuster at mvista.com]
Sent: Thursday, August 27, 2009 11:33 AM
To: tz at lecserver.nci.nih.gov
Cc: tz at lecserver.nci.nih.gov
Subject: Re: Unicode Consortium (Re: New home for time zone stuff by 2012?)

Larry Gilbert wrote:
> I was about to suggest this, but am concerned about whether having the
> TZ project under the UC umbrella would really allow it to "continue
> basically as it does now."  Other projects under UC such as CLDR have
> lengthy input/review/release cycles, but the TZ data has to be able to
> be turned around quickly due to the unpredictability of time changes in
> some countries (Egypt is still fresh in my mind).

I have the same concern. ado has been awesome in addressing time
critical changes.

- armin

I agree completely with this statement. There have been occurrences in the past where a government has changed its mind about setting DST <1 month before the time change event was supposed to occur.

Dafydd Rhys-Jones