Unicode Consortium (Re: New home for time zone stuff by 2012?)

Mark Davis ⌛ mark at macchiato.com
Thu Aug 27 19:37:07 UTC 2009

The Unicode consortium projects have very different processes and release
schedules.

   - The Unicode Standard process is the heaviest; it uses larger quarterly
   physical meetings, plus smaller monthly one-day meetings, and has releases
   about 1 to 1.5 years.
   - Script updates use email communication only, and may be updated in
   weeks.
   - CLDR uses weekly phone meetings and email; a major release of CLDR can
   take 9-12 months, but a dot-dot update of CLDR only needs days.
   - A change in the UDHR can be done overnight.

So it all depends on the process the TZ group wants to use.

(BTW, in Google we are well aware of the need for speed; getting our
products updated around the globe with new TZ data with notice of only a
week or two is extremely painful!)

Mark