Xinjiang

Luther Ma ma.lude.xj at gmail.com
Tue Dec 8 15:16:22 UTC 2009

I greatly prefer Alan's revisions to the comments IF there needs to be
an Wulumuqi/Asia entry.

But if this is the definition:

Each location in the database represents a national region where all
clocks keeping local time have agreed since 1970. Locations are
identified by continent or ocean and then by the name of the location,
which is typically the largest city within the region.

then my suggestion is just to keep it simple.

The people using Beijing time, primarily Han, are doing what this
definition specifies, they are setting their clocks to the largest
city in their region, China clearly being the "region".

Likewise those using Xinjiang time are also doing what this definition
specifies. Their "region" being Xinjiang with the largest city Urumqi.

We may want to think of regions as "not overlapping" or "not existing
inside each other" but the wording of  the definition doesn't require
it.

So specifically, I would suggest just changing Urumqi/Asia (and
likewise Kashgar/Asia) to UTC +6.

As I mentioned in my original post, I also don't think there is a need
to follow PRC rules for summer time. It's use was for a few years, it
is poorly documented and was not consistently followed. (The Ili bus
station, for example, was still using regular Xinjiang time during the
summer of 1990.) Perhaps at a later date we can figure out those crazy
summers of four time standards.

-mld