FW: Pacific-New

Paul Koning Paul_Koning at Dell.com
Wed Feb 25 11:54:39 UTC 2009

>   | Are there any systems out in the wild now where setting the TZ
>   | environment variable to US/Pacific-New does something different
> than
>   | setting it to US/Pacific?
>
> Note that report was from 1992 - back then they probably were
> different.
> Anyone running on 1992 timezone data today is going to have far worse
> problems than that one, so I don't think we really need to worry about
> it.
>
> The zone name has to remain like all historical ones, ...

If it's historical, yes.  The original comment was that it isn't, that
it is fictional.  If so, I agree that it should be removed completely,
just as any other bugs are removed.

The same applies to such fictional things as leap seconds at midnight
New York time rather than midnight UTC -- another item that came up
recently.

	paul