FW: timezone code - re-entrancy issue

Robert Elz kre at munnari.OZ.AU
Thu Jan 15 07:15:52 UTC 2009

    Date:        Wed, 14 Jan 2009 17:14:32 -0500
    From:        "John Dlugosz" <JDlugosz at TradeStation.com>

The first part of your mail was already answered.

  | I didn't find a strftime implementation in this package, either, so if
  | some "private interface" exists that allows some other package to
  | cooperate with it, that's what I'm asking about.

strftime() needs to deal with locale info, which is highly system dependent,
so there's no reasonable way to include it with this code.  Further, it
is really just a binary->string conversion function for a struct tm, it
itself knows nothing much about time (am/pm & 12 hour clocks is almost it!),
so it wouldn't even gain much (or probably anything) by being included.

But strftime (along with all the rest of the locale info) gets added to
the system library, along with the tzcode - if the implementor of strftime()
needs to do some private fiddle to localtime() to make strftime()
possible (or just easier) then that's what they do.

kre