Julian Gregorian

Ken Pizzini tz_ at explicate.org
Sun Jun 21 06:07:51 UTC 2009

On Sat, Jun 20, 2009 at 12:11:01PM -0400, David Patte wrote:
> Can somone confirm if the UNTIL & TO dates provided in the tzfiles are
> all Gregorian dates?

The tzcode implementation only deals with the proleptic Gregorian
calendar; it is considered outside the scope of the TZ "project"
to deal with the idiosyncrasies of the transition from Julian
(or any other calendar system) to Gregorian.

> In particular, I believe that Serbia & Russia switched from the Julian
> calendar to the Gregorian calendar in 1918, and Greece in 1923, yet some
> dates  recorded in the tzfiles for these locations span their switch of
> calendars. There may also be a similar issue with Alaska.

I can't speak to whether the cut-over dates in the tzdata are
actually rendered correctly as Gregorian dates, but, because of the
"Gregorian only" approach of the code, they _should_ be Gregorian.

		--Ken Pizzini